XINGYI (HSING I)
What is Xingyi?
Xingyi is an internal Wushu style known for its dynamic and explosive movements. Xing or shape, is derived from imitating the fighting movements of 12 different animals. Yi or mind, is generated internally from the heart. Therefore, Xingyi is an internal style which imitates the shapes of twelve animals and their inner characteristics when they fight. Xingyi's theory and techniques are aggressive, yet the practitioner avoids emotional excitement. Xingyi manifests great power, but it is a very refined power, and while the strategy is offensive, it is not disordered. Continued training in Xingyi can make you spiritually brave, your spirit can be raised to a very powerful stage, yet you will remain calm, peaceful, and in control.
This style consists of five fundamental movements: Pi(Split), Zuan(Drill), Beng(Expand), Pao(Cannon), Heng(Sideways shear). The five movements are matched up with Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, and Earth elements from the Five Element Theory. It is characterized by linear movements and uses offense as a way of defense. Our school offers a system of Xingyi including traditional fist and weapon routines and applications such as Five Phases, Twelve Shapes, Miscellaneous Strike Sequence, Linking Sequence, Secure Body Strike matching set, etc.
Why learn Xingyi? Who should take this class?
- For people who wish to improve their focus, power, stamina, coordination, strength, balance, fitness level, endurance, and confidence.
- The basic forms are simple and easy to learn. There are hundreds of variations derived from the basic movements and their applications are countless.
- The fundamental theory and training principles are easy to understand.
- From a health point of view, the movements of Xingyi are designed for strengthening the five important Yin organs: heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, and spleen.
- Xingyi's theory and techniques are aggressive, yet the practitioner avoids emotional excitement. Xingyi manifests great power, but it is a very refined power and while the strategy is offensive it is not disordered. Continued training in Xingyi can make you spiritually brave; your spirit can be raised to a very powerful level, yet you will remain calm, peaceful, and in control.
What will I learn?
- Our school offers a system of Xingyi that includes traditional routines and applications as follows:
- Xingyi basics
- Five Phases (Five Fists) which include Pi, Zhuan, Beng, Pao, Heng which correspond to the Five Phases of Metal, Water, Wood, Fire, and Earth.
- Twelve Shapes (Shi Er Xing) Fists which imitates the shapes and ways of fighting of twelve animals.
- Synthesize Xingyi Quan
- Comprehensive Xingyi Quan
- Xingyi Sword (Lian Huan Jian)
- Xingyi Saber (Lian Huan Dao)